Distillation is not an easy process. We use the best equipment in order to have a continuity of quality.
Why Helichrysum Italicum is so special ?
There are over 500 different species of Helichrysum (Asteraceae) of this daisy type flower. Some of which, like the Helichrysum Italicum, are unique to certain parts of the globe, Corsica and the Balkans to name only the mains.
It is so special because it treats cosmetic as well as medical problems, age spots to sports injuries. It is known for its anti bacterial qualities and its tissue healing properties, tests have been carried out at the hospital in Grasse, France, where they used Helichrysum Italium to close skin tissue, the result has been absolutely amazing as a very quick heal and with very little scarring, no redness and no infections.
It multiplies the natural collagen count present in our skin cells and diminishes wrinkles and creases with a high percentage of success. It is also combined with other oils and used to treat acne, there are different remedies based on the Helichrysum Italicum. It acts on the skin, on muscles and joints and on the nervous system; there are not many essential oils with this vast healing power. In fact I now call Helichrysum Italicum “liquid gold”, as it is so precious.
Why is it rare?
Because of its chemical composition it makes it unique. The soil composition and climate contribute enormously to its structure. In fact the climate and the soil will modify the Neryl Acetate % which can cause the overall price to rise or to drop.
As confirmed to me on one of my “many questioning calls” to the different distillers the main harvesting of Helichysum Italicum takes place in June as the level of Neryl Acetate is at its peak .
Helichrysum Italicum can be found all over the island of Corsica and its fragrant aroma contributes to the smells of the Maquis; this sweet scented honey fragrance mingles with Rosemary, Ciste, Pine Larrico and other odours making the perfume of the Maquis unique to Corsica. A well known comment from Napoleon who said he could “smell his island before sighting it".
The subtle olfactory smell produced by Helichrysum Italicum connects us to the Earth and lets our minds drift into conciliate with inner emotions and ourselves by odour. This is why Helichrysum Italicum is is quite simply the best of essential oils with a multi functional healing of unequalled quality.
What chemicals are found in Helichrysum Italicum ?
Most viruses, fungi and bacteria cannot live in the presence of many essential oils, specially those high in terpenes like the helichrysum Italicum. This, perhaps, offers a modern explanation why the Old Testament prophet Moses used aromatic substances to protect the Israelites from the plagues that decimated the ancient Egyptians.
These chemicals are found in most essential oils, with citrus oils having a very large percentage of them. They have high antiseptic and tonic qualities and are very good air purifiers.They contain 10 carbon atoms. They are colorless and highly volatile. They can deteriorate very quickly therefore need to be kept at cool temperatures. Monoterpenes and compounds containing two isoprene units, which is ten carbon atoms and sixteen hydrogen atoms per molecule (C10H16) - molecular weight 136 amu for a hydrocarbon monterpene. There are an estimated 2,000 varieties of monoterpenes.
While offering a variety of healing properties, the most important ability of the monoterpenes is that they can reprogram miswritten information in the cellular memory (DNA) . With improper coding in cellular memory, cells malfunction and diseases result, including lethal ones, such as cancer.
- Alpha fenchene
- Alpha pinene
- Beta Pinene
- Gamma terpinene
These terpenes are not as volatile as monoterpenes. They contain 15 carbon atoms (hence the name 'sesqui' which means one and a half). Sesquiterpenes have a calming effect as well as being anti inflammatory and anti-infectious. Sesquiterpenes are compounds containing three isoprene units, which is fifteen carbons and twenty-four hydrogens per molecule (C15H24) - molecular weight 204 amu for a hydrocarbon sesquiterpene. There are more than 10,000 kinds of sesquiterpenes.
Sesquiterpen molecules deliver oxygen molecules to cells, like hemoglobin does in the blood. Sesquiterpens can also reprogram miswritten codes in cellular memory. They are studies at the moment that could lead to prove that they are effective in fighting cancer : The root problem with a cancer cell is that it contains misinformation, and sesquiterpenes are believed to delete that garbled information. At the same time the oxygen carried by sesquiterpene molecules creates an environment where cancer cells could not reproduce. Hence, sesquiterpenes would deliver cancer cells a double punch - one that disables their coded misbehavior and a second that stops their growth.
- Alpha bergamotene
- Beta bergamotene
- Delta Cadinene
- Beta caryophyllene
- Alpha Copaene
- Alpha, Beta and Gamma curcumene act as anti-inflammatory agents
- Alpha selinene
- Beta selinene
Alcohols are also highly antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal and antibiotic. They are a good tonic to the nervous system and can stimulate the immune response.
- Alpha terpinol
- Terpinene 4 ol
Ethers are much stronger than esters but both have similar properties. They are a powerful antispasmodic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory. They are very gentle on the skin and particularly efficient in relaxing and rebalancing the nervous system.
Neryl Acetate Properties
- very high antiradical activity;
- very significant multiplication of the production of collagen I, on the order of sixfold;
- augmentation of the production of VEGF on the order of twofold;
- increase in cellular exchanges;
- activation of the cutaneous microcirculation which as corollary facilitates the elimination of waste products, and thus the revitalization of the cells and stimulation of the cutaneous biology;
- decongestant protective properties reinforcing the equilibriums and defenses at the level of the skin;
- antiseptic and dermal purification action contributing to the rehabilitation of the cellular environment.
- Neryl propionate
- Ketones Italidiones (stimulate cell regeneration and liquefy mucous.
While phenols create conditions where unfriendly viruses and bacteria cannot live, the most important function performed by phenols and phenylpropanoids is that they clean receptor sites. Without clean receptor sites, cells cannot communicate, and the body malfunctions, resulting in sickness.
Phenols are the most antiseptic chemicals found in plants. They stimulate the body and can be beneficial in small doses however large doses can be a poison to the nervous system. Large doses can also cause skin irritations as well as digestive discomfort to sensitive people. Phenols and Phenylpropanoids are compounds of carbon molecules with a hexagonal ring incorporating one isoprene unit with a hydroxl radical (OH) attached. There are dozens of varieties of phenols and phenylpropanoids.
These chemicals have a relaxing and sedative effect. They are known to have properties that are anticonvulsant and anti-coagulant. Coumarins, in particular, furocourmains can be photosensitive therefore it is best to avoid exposure to the sun when using essential oils with these constituents.
The properties of aldehydes are similar to the properties of both alcohols and ketones. They can calm the nervous system and they are anti-inflammatory. Aldehydes can be quite harsh however, and can cause major irritation to both the skin and mucous membranes.
Aldehyde & Ketones
Ketones possess superb ability to regenerate new cells and tissue.
In small doses, ketones can relax and sedate. They can promote the healing of scar tissues and are known to be anticoagulants. They can be useful in stimulating the immune system as well as treating respiratory complaints. In large doses, however, they can have the opposite effect and can be a poison to the nervous system. This can cause miscarriage, convulsions, and even epileptic fits.
- First aid remedy for injuries, strains, sprains, tissue trauma (you could apply undiluted under doctor's supervision)
- Bruises, swellings, cuts, open wounds (Haas, 2004)
- Wound healing
- Scar reduction
- Joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis (Schnaubelt, 1995)
- Old or new scars resulting from surgery or injury, inflamed tissues, Hematoma, Allergic skin reactions, Hemorrhoids, Keloid scar tissue (to prevent or improve appearance), Stretch marks, Tendinitis, Wounds and Cuts. (Schnaubelt, 1999)
- Apply immediately undiluted after an injury, it prevents swelling and bruising. (Haas, 2004)
- Acute emotions (incl. acute anxiety, fear, anger, sorrow) (Holmes, n/d)
- Mental / Spiritual / Emotional trauma
- Acne, chronic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, scar tissue, burns, dermal inflammation, cuts and wounds, bruises, radiation burns
- Childhood dermatitis (Buck,P., 2005)
- Chronic asthma, viscous sputum in bronchitis, chronic cough (Holmes, n/d)
- Pain Relief (due to anti-inflammatory action) (Harris and Harris, 2002)
- Anal / Rectal fissures (Cristina, E., 2005)
- H. italicum has anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antiallergic activity and has been used to treat chronic chest ailments. (van Wyk and Wink, 2004)
- Dry, itchy skin with existing scratches and dermal irritation (Horrigan, 2004)
- Nurturing, calming, harmonizing and grounding, Helichrysum will reduce apprehension, irritability and mental unrest. Helps untangle emotional knots and resolve past emotional trauma. (Holmes, n/d)